It’s time to grub. Lauren from PARKIT here to be your trusted companion for outdoor adventures, and even more excited to welcome you our first installment of our new camping series, Fireside Feasts! Today, we're bringing you a delicious beachside campfire recipe that'll have your friends & family wondering, ‘who brought Martha Stewart to your outdoor eating experience’ – This is a PARKIT specialty, Bonfire Stuffed Bell Peppers.
I always say, a truly perfect campfire recipe includes 4 key elements:
- All ingredients can fit into a PARKIT chair cooler- this ensures that we limit the number of items for easy transport & clean up! This is always so important when cooking rurally.
- A meal that can be prepped ahead of time! This helps eliminate the mess when you’re without a sink & allows you to cook efficiently leaving more time to play. In this case… I will get to long board at San Onofre state an extra 30+ minutes before diving in with the cast iron!
- Food has multiple uses- meaning any leftovers can be used as a snack or additional meal. This is especially important when camping for multiple days with only so much cooler space.
- CALORIES DON’T COUNT WHEN EATEN OUTDOORS!!
The smoky, charred peppers combined with the savory filling are a match made in outdoor heaven. There's something magical about cooking by the campfire, so grab your PARKIT Voyager chair, head to your favorite outdoor spot; it’s time to get cooking and share in the tasty haven that makes our Bonfire Stuffed Bell Pepper the absolute best meal to enjoy while camping.
Bonfire Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 colorful bell peppers per person! (red, green, or yellow – your pick!)
- 1 pound of ground beef or turkey for every 4 bell peppers
- 1/2 cup of cooked long grain rice (try wild rice for that extra outdoor flair)
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of corn kernels (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup of black beans (canned and drained)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (cheddar or your personal favorite)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for brushing
Like I mentioned, the best campfire recipes can be prepped ahead of time! You are welcome to also do this campfire side, but trust me, the prep before heading out is a game changer.
1. Prep Your Peppers:
Begin by slicing off the tops of your bell peppers and carefully removing the seeds and membranes. Give them a good rinse, both inside and out, and set them aside. These vibrant bell peppers are about to become the stars of our campfire cookout! I like to then boil them for 5 minutes. Pull them out, brush them with olive oil, & sprinkle some salt on the interior and exterior. They’re ready to be stuffed!
2. Cook Up the Magic:
Grab a big pan, add a drizzle of olive oil, and toss in your diced onions and minced garlic over medium heat. Sauté until they turn golden and fragrant, then introduce your ground meat. Cook it up, breaking it into small pieces. When it's perfectly browned and cooked through, add in your diced tomatoes, corn, and black beans. Sprinkle in the chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, and give it all a good mix. Finally, stir in the cooked rice and let it soak up all the goodness. This is the heart of your stuffed peppers.
3. Fill 'Em Up:
Armed with a trusty spoon, stuff each bell pepper with the BOMB.com filling you've crafted. Be generous; let it overflow! Top off each pepper with a heap of shredded cheese – because cheese makes everything better, especially in the great outdoors. (REMEMBER, CALORIES DON'T COUNT WHEN EATEN OUTDOORS!)
4. Get Those Babies Ready For Transport:
I like to put all of the peppers upright in a massive Cast Iron pan with foil over the top if we are on just a day trip- that way I can just throw the pan on the fire when I am ready to cook around the bonfire. If I am prepping for camping, I will tightly wrap them in foil & then put the foiled peppers upright in a Ziplock or Tupperware. I will then put them in the cast iron pan once I am ready to cook or I will put the foiled peppers right on the rack!
Campfire Cooking Instructions:
1. Fire It Up:
It's time to let the campfire work its magic. Place your stuffed peppers in a robust pan if they aren't already in one (I like a cast iron) or directly on a grill grate over those hot coals. Cover the pan or create a foil tent to let them cook. Allow them to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the filling is hot all the way through, and the cheese is gooey and golden.
2. Serve and Savor:
Carefully remove your stuffed bell peppers from the campfire. Let them cool for a moment (we know, it's hard to resist). Eat with a plate & fork or just go for it like finger food! After all, no one likes dishes without a sink & no one is judging your table-side manners when you’re grubbing near the bon-fire. If you're feeling fancy, garnish with some fresh herbs or a squeeze of lime. Now, sit back, relax, and savor the outdoor cooking experience from your PARKIT Voyager!
PARKIT’s Pro Tips for Outdoor Cooking:
- I recommend cooking the peppers within 3 days of prep.
- Get Your Campfire Ready: Before we dive into the culinary adventure, ensure that your campfire is burning steadily with a bed of hot coals. Consistent heat is the key here, so clear a space and let those flames mellow out.
- Adjust the Heat: Keep an eye on your campfire's heat. Control the cooking temperature by raising or lowering your pan or grill grate. Higher for less heat, lower for a blazing fire.
- Gear Up the Right Way: High-quality outdoor cooking gear, like a big cast-iron skillet, can make a world of difference in your outdoor culinary adventures.
- Safety First: Safety is paramount in the great outdoors. Always have a bucket of water or sand nearby, just in case. Cooking with a live fire should always be approached with caution and respect.
- Enjoy the Process: Cooking over an open fire takes a bit more time, but the flavors and experience are worth it. Embrace the moment and savor the outdoor cooking journey.
So, there you have it, outdoor enthusiasts – a beachside campfire recipe that'll elevate your outdoor dining experience, brought to you by PARKIT. Bonfire Stuffed Bell Peppers are the perfect way to end a day of surf or adventure. Until our next outdoor rendezvous, enjoy your cooking adventures with PARKIT and keep exploring!